The following principles will provide better understanding of the reasons paving is installed in the way we advocate throughout the world.
The six golden rules of paving are:
- You do not want paving to sag when trafficked.
- You do not want paving to creep sideways.
- You want water to drain from the paving.
- You want a smooth and even paved surface, with no high or low pavers.
- Paving blocks alone should not carry loads. Weight should be distributed to layers beneath the paving blocks.
- Paving needs maintenance.
It is important to remember:
- There is movement below the earth’s surface.
- Natural material in soil decomposes.
- The elements are harsh.
- There are minerals in soil, sand and stone.
- There is moisture in the soil.